Mechanical Smoke Shaft
Mechanical smoke extract systems are often required where a natural ventilation solution is impracticable.
One of the main benefits of a mechanical extract system is the possibility of estimating accurately its performance, as it will extract a certain volume of air in a consistent manner, and comply precisely with any given fire strategy.
In addition, mechanical smoke shafts can often be utilised not only as a life safety system, but also as a dual function to allow common areas to be ventilated in day-to-day use.
Depending on the scope of works, Delta are able to provide expert advice at the tender stage which can result in the most cost-effective solution, whilst ensuring all proposals comply with current industry standards and regulatory requirement.
- Smoke extract fan assemblies to suit duty required by the fire strategy. These include all mounting plates, fan ancillaries and ductwork if necessary.
- Smoke evacuation dampers for lobbies and corridors, including a range of termination grilles available in many colours and finishes.
- Weathered external ventilators, suitable for fan arrangements termination or head of stairwell mechanical ventilation.
- MCC Control panels, Automatic Transfer switches, HMI touchscreen panels and all associated control units to facilitate integration with BMS, fire alarms and manual override when necessary.
- Maintains escape routes and common areas free of smoke
- Protects the building’s occupiers during evacuation
- Facilitates accessibility for fire brigade operations
- Delays further fire development and flashover
- Reduces damage to the building and its contents
- BS 9991: 2015 – Fire safety in the design, management and use of residential buildings
- BS 9999: 2017 – Code of practice for fire safety in the design, management and use of buildings
- BS EN 12101-1: 2015 – Specification for Smoke Barriers
- BS EN 12101-2: 2015 – Natural Smoke and Heat Exhaust Ventilators
- BS EN 12101-3: 2015 – Specification for Powered Smoke and Heat Exhaust Systems
- BS EN 12101-6: 2005 – Specification for Pressure Differential Systems
- BS EN 12101-8: 2011 – Smoke Control Dampers
- BS EN 12101-10: 2005 – Power Supplies